Sunday, April 22, 2012

S.L.A.N.G. Salt Lake Nerf Geeks First Battle of the Season

Today I finally got my chance to do a little warring with other nerfers!
I found out about S.L.A.N.G. while on the NerfRev site, and was finally able to meet a few of them when I went out to one of our local parks. Weather was sunny, about 83 degrees, and hardly any wind. We had a small group this time, but it was mainly because the S.L.A.N.G. season opener was originally planned for last Saturday, but had to be changed on account of weather.


We played a few games with the half a dozen of us that were there. Sadly the hill in the above picture kept getting people picnicking on it, denying us our ability to play awesome king of the hill games. Work is picking up for me however, and I may not have much of a chance to participate in too many of these, so it was a well enjoyed opportunity for me.


On a cool note. If you remember my Spy Gear Rocket Blaster, I have some good news on a little more official range test!
I shot 5 shots flat with the thing, hitting 4 of the shots (very close together) right at 138ft. (The other one landed just under 100ft.)
I also tried out a few angled shots. 3 of the shots were good (The other 2 shots flopped out of the barrel, so I didn't count them) and each one of those angled shots (abot a 40-45 degree angle) hit over 200 ft!!! The farthest shot hitting a total measured 228 ft! All this with stock streamlines in a blaster that has nothing more done to it than a coupler and a 9" CPVC barrel!
This was all measured and viewed by the other nerfers that came to the park, so now I have even more people to back up my ranges. (There's a few people on the NerfRev site that continue to call B.S. on my 140ft. ranges [stating I couldn't do them with unmodified streamlines without shredding them] I did the range test with unmodified streamlines, and they didn't shred. I used them in my Raider shortly after the range test.)

All in all, I was very pleased with the performance, and the fact that it stayed remarkably accurate for the distances it was shooting. But more importantly, I was finally able to experience some real outdoor fun with my blasters.

5 comments:

  1. Nice! I really want to attend a real NIC war. Sounds really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY some other nerfers in SLC!! Can you give me a link to one of their war threads so I can check them out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the thread for that last get together. http://www.nerfrevolution.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4465

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I emailed Shmmee about S.L.A.N.G. and hopefully I can come to a war in June since I can't make any this month. What kind of age group do you guys have?

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm not too familiar with many of the people. I'm 26. Shmmee..maybe early 20's. There were a couple young kids... But that's all I know of. So just a range of people from what I suppose.

      Delete